7 Best Essential Oils to Use for Headache
Peppermint (Mentha x piperita), steam distilled flower tops, USA.
Promotes relief of nausea and indigestion
- Vasoconstrictor (relieves congestion, promotes circulation)
- Analgesic (pain reliever)
CAUTIONS: Peppermint cools by constricting your blood capillaries therefore please use in extremely weak dilutions. May be a mucous membrane irritant (low risk), choleretic (increases bile production liver), neurotoxic. Maximum dermal use level 5.4%. Research indicates that Peppermint Oil may aggravate GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease), a type of heart burn. Aromatherapy safety expert, Robert Tisserand, recommends not using Peppermint oil with children under 10 years of age.
Sweet Marjoram (Origanum marjorana), steam distilled flower and leaf, Egypt.
- Promotes deep relaxation
- Supports release deep mental and emotional tension
- Helpful for emotional exhaustion
- Promotes relief of panic attacks
- Comforting and calming to nervous system
- Circulatory stimulant
- Powerful decongestant oils (physical, mental and emotional)
- Promotes detoxification.
CAUTIONS: Aromatherapy safety expert, Robert Tisserand, recommends not using Peppermint oil with children under 10 years of age.
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) - High altitude), steam distilled flowers, France and Bulgaria.
- Universal healing oil
- Helpful for breaking habit of negative self talk
- Promotes relief of negative mental states
- Calming effect on anger
- Promotes release of suppressed toxic emotions
Lemon (Citrus limonum), cold pressed peel, Italy.
- Powerful astringent
- Excellent blood cleanser
- Bodymind tonic
Helps break obsessive, repetitive thoughts and habits
CAUTIONS: Skin sensitization if oxidized, phototoxic (low risk). Maximum dermal use level 2.0%. Citrus oils are considered phototoxic and care should be taken when using them in skin applications. Please avoid exposure to direct sunlight or sunlamps for up to 12 hours after use as pigmentation of the skin may result.
Juniperberry (Juniperis communis), steam distilled berry, Croatia.
- Excellent reputation powerful detoxifier and blood cleanser
- Promotes balance to conditions of excess
- Helps relieve congestion
- Often used for hangover-type headache from overindulgence in rich food or alcohol.
Basil (Ocimum Basilicum ‘linalool’), steam distilled leaf, Egypt or Nepal.
- Fortifying effect on nerves
- Stabilizes nervous system
- Psycho-emotionally supports self expression and feeling secure
- Helps clear the mind.
Dispense 1-3 drops of a single essential oil or blend of oils on a cotton ball or smell strip and inhale the aromatic vapors of your headache pain relief formula for 10-15 seconds. May repeat as needed.
Also effective diffused into the air, or as a cool compress applied to the back of your neck.
To make a ready-to-use headache relief blend simply add 15-30 drops of your single essential oil, or blend to a one ounce bottle of your favorite carrier oil (recommend fractionated light coconut oil), shake bottle well to disperse oils thoroughly. Apply a few drops of your diluted oil to sinus points around nose and forehead, as well as on the back of your neck.
CAUTION: Please keep oils away from eyes and do not apply oil directly on any open sores as this can cause sensitization to essential oils.