Lavender ( Lavandula angustifolia ) is one of the most well loved and used essential oils in aromatherapy. Lavender is called the universal healer as it has a broad chemical profile and thus a broad application.
The primary chemical property in Lavender oil is Ester. Grown and distilled at higher altitudes the oil has even higher concentrations of plant Esters up to 54%.
The active properties of plant Esters are known to be powerfully effective for calming and nurturing the mind, body and emotions. Ester's archetypal power is the Protector and Nurturer.
Another of Lavender's primary chemical properties is Monoterpenol which is known for its enduring and lasting effects. Its archetypal power is The Athlete.
Here are some of the commonly known uses for Lavender oil that relate to its chemical properties to relieve symptoms of overwhelm.
• Antidepressant - alleviates or prevents depression, lifts mood, counters melancholia
• Antispasmodic - calms nervous and muscular spasms, for colic, pain and indigestion
• Carminative/Stomachic - settles digestive system, relieves intestinal gas
• Nervine - strengthening and toning to the nerves and nervous system.
• Sedative - agent that exerts a soothing, tranquilizing, calming effect on the body, good for nervous tension, stress, insomnia, anxiety, palpitations
• Tonic - general neurotonic and cardiac regulator, strengthens and enlivens the body.
Lavender is an excellent children's remedy and good for mother's.
Its character is unifying to both yin and yang states though slightly more yang and thus grounding.
In perfumery Lavender is most often used as a middle note and occasionally as a top note.
Its color frequency range is blue-green to deep blue and violet.
Chakra Healing & Balancing - Lavender is the universal oil for nourishing all of your chakras though it has an especial affinity for the throat chakra either alone or in a blend. This is your vital life force energy representing creativity and vocal self expression. Its nature and primary function is the power of space for making wise decisions. When your Throat Chakra is balanced and functioning healthily you are a free flowing channel for truth, inspiration, communication, self expression, creativity and social interaction.
Astrologically Lavender Oil resonates with all of the planets though it has an especial affinity with Mars (Aries), Venus (Libra) and Mercury (Gemini). Secondarily Lavender resonates well with Jupiter (Sagittarius) and the Sun (Leo).
Prescription when feeling overwhelmed:
Take a 1-week Media Fast
• NO television
• NO news
• Limit your email and text messaging to twice daily at noon and 4pm (answer ONLY messages that are high priority) You might set-up an auto-responder letting people know when you will next be available.
• NO social media (as you can't control the information you're exposed to)
Tell your family members, close friends and your boss (if you have one) that you have been prescribed a 1--week Media Fast. Then, ask for their support? Explain to them how it important it is for you to have the rest.
If you desire some form of media I encourage you to watch entertaining and inspiring movies, listen to soothing and uplifting music, read fiction or listen to fiction in audio format.
You are taking a much needed time out from information overload and replacing it with pleasurable and uplifting pursuits.
After 1-week OFF media you may wish to rethink your priorities about what you expose yourself to in the media and carefully monitor how you're affected by various types of media exposure. Then choose wisely!
Let me know if you've ever completed a media fast, and/or if you do this one. I'd love to hear how it went/goes for you.