Hot flash is caused by fluctuations in hormones and often associated with menopause though hot flash can occur at any age and for both men and women.
Symptoms include sudden intense heat, profuse sweating, visible reddening of the skin, feeling faint, and rapid pulse.
Hot flash may occur sporadically, or be a common occurrence and disrupt the quality of one’s life.
Accompanying symptoms include “night sweats” that interrupt sleep, insomnia, depression, poor mood, inability to focus and pay attention.
According to the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) certain foods and lifestyle habits aggravate symptoms of hot flash. These include hot and spicy foods, alcohol and caffeine. It’s also thought that obesity issues may contribute to menopausal symptoms like hot flash.
Hot Flash Formula
The essential oils in this formula have been shown to be effective as a comfort care measure to promote natural relief for symptoms of hot flash.
To a 5ml colored glass euro-dropper bottle add these pure essential oils:
Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) - 20 drops
CAUTIONS: Peppermint cools by constricting your blood capillaries, therefore please use in extremely weak dilutions. Maybe a mucous membrane irritant (low risk), choleretic (increases bile production liver), neurotoxic. Maximum dermal use level 5.4%. Research indicates that Peppermint Oil may aggravate GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease), a type of heart burn. Due to its strong cooling action Peppermint should not be used by children under 2 1/2 years of age.
Cypress (Cupressus Sempervirens) - 20 drops
Lemon (Citrus limonum) - 20 drops
CAUTIONS: Skin sensitization if oxidized, phototoxic (low risk). Maximum dermal use level 2.0%. Citrus oils are considered phototoxic and care should be taken when using them in skin applications. Please avoid exposure to direct sunlight or sunlamps for up to 12 hours after use as pigmentation of the skin may result.
Rose Geranium (Pelargonium roseum) - 10 drops
CAUTIONS: Rose Geranium can lower blood sugar and should be avoided in cases of hypoglycemia. Due to its hormonal effect avoid Geranium during pregnancy.
Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) - 10 drops
CAUTIONS: As Clary Sage can make some people feel exceedingly woozy and faint please avoid using it when driving or needing to focus.
Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii) - 10 drops
CAUTIONS: Skin sensitization (low risk). Drugs metabolized by CYP2B6 (oral use). Maximum dermal use level 6.5%.
Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) - 10 drops
Cautions: Avoid use with drugs metabolized by CYP2B6 (Diabetes medication). Skin sensitization. Maximum dermal use 0.7%. Avoid use with hypersensitive skin, diseased or damaged skin, children under 2 years of age.
Cap bottle tightly and shake vigorously to blend essential oils. Allow to synergize for eight hours, or longer before using.
Method of Application
Aromatic Mist - Makes a wonderfully cooling aromatic mist.
Preparation – what you will need
- 2oz ounce Colored Glass Misting Bottle
- Purified or Pure Fresh Spring Water
- Pure and Natural Witch Hazel
- 12-24 drops Hot Flash Formula
- 2 Cups Distilled Water
I prefer just to mix these ingredients together and shake well before misting each time. However, if you'd like to use an emulsifier to keep oils blended in water and a preservative follow these additional directions.
- Lecithin, Granules or Liquid (emulsifier) - Dissolve 1/4 tsp granules or 3-5 drops liquid lecithin in 1 ounce of water. Use enough lecithin to keep oil and water mixed. Takes about 1 hour to completely dissolve lecithin in water.
- Glycerin - 1 teaspoon (optional, humectant)
- 1/16th teaspoon Citric Acid Powder - A natural preservative for skincare products. Citric acid powder can be purchased at many natural health food stores and online.
How to Prepare Citric Acid Powder for Use in Skin Care Products:
Boil 2 cups of distilled water and then add 0.05 percent to 0.1 percent citric acid powder to the water. Stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool. Add when cooled to your homemade skincare products such as lotions, face and body oils as a preservative.
- Half fill a two (2) ounce colored glass bottle that has an atomizer or misting top, with pure filtered or fresh spring water.
- Add a tiny amount (120 drops) of witch hazel to act as an astringent and skin tonic.
- Shake bottle well after the addition of witch hazel to mix thoroughly into water.
- Add liquified lecithin (if using) and shake bottle well to mix thoroughly.
- Add your pure essential oil Hot Flash Formula one drop at a time.
- After adding each drop of essential oil spray to test the aroma quality and check that the oils are dispersing thoroughly in to the water (if using lecithin). Add more lecithin if needed to keep oils blended.
- Continue to add drops of pure essential oil until you’ve added 12-24 drops total (1-2% dilution)
- Shake well to thoroughly blend essential oils into the water (if using lecithin).
- Add Glycerin and Citric Acid (if using) and shake bottle well to blend thoroughly..
Directions for use
Lightly spray to both sides of your head and inhale the aromatic vapors. Avoid direct skin contact as, for some, the oils may be a skin irritant. Use your Hot Flash Formula aromatic mist as needed.
Direct Inhalation - Dispense 1-3 drops of your Hot Flash Formula on a cotton ball or smell strip and inhale the aromatic vapors for 10-15 seconds. May repeat as needed.
Clients report with regular use signs of hormonal imbalance like hot flash diminish in severity and are less frequent, or even stop completely.