Your body is a complex ecosystem with intricate overlapping connections, only now becoming to be fully appreciated by our modern and evolving scientific community. Breakthroughs in scientific understanding are cracking through the resistance presented by prior centuries of Newtonian mechanistic and reductionist science. The old view of dividing life into parts and creating fields of specialization is fast being replaced by the ‘new’ science of Einstein.
Now with the advent of this ‘new’ science, researchers are beginning to see the intricate connections between all of life. Everything is connected and acting as one body organism.
These new discoveries in the scientific community have huge implications for our health and the health of our planet.
In 1972 Dr. Candace Pert discovered the brain's opiate receptor, the location in the brain where the painkillers, aka endorphins, bond with cells to produce feelings of bliss. A young graduate student at the time, Dr. Pert went on to become a renowned American neuroscientist and pharmacologist.
Through her years of research, Dr. Pert came to understand that toxins play a key role in disease. The last twenty-eight years of her life were devoted to finding non-toxic treatments for diseases such as AIDS.
Dr. Pert was at the forefront of pioneering the development of mind-body medicine. Her research focused not only on the physical, but the emotional environment and how a toxic environment is the precursor to diseases like Cancer.
Connecting the Dots
Toxins can keep you in an overly stressed state in which your fight or flight nervous system is chronically turned on, while the parasympathetic branch of the ANS, which is your rest, recovery, digest, and restore system, is turned off.
Poor Digestion & Assimilation Nutrients
- One of the results of a dysfunctional ANS is poor digestion and assimilation of nutrients which leads to far-reaching consequences, including the health of your gut microbiota.
- Healthy gut microbes help you get rid of toxins. By impairing your digestive system, you lose an important part of your detoxification system.
Poor Sleep Quality
- Research also shows that environmental toxins are linked to poor quality of sleep and sleep duration. Deep, restful sleep is necessary for “brain plasticity,” the brain’s ability to adapt. This can affect your memory. Do you ever feel foggy headed on waking? This can indicate a lack of quality sleep.
- Overtime, you can lose your ability to even discern that you are sleep deprived. An example of this was reported by Arianna Huffington, founder of Huffington Post, who collapsed one day from overwork and exhaustion. Her collapse was an alarming wake up call and and inspired her to write her best-selling book, Thrive, “an impassioned and compelling case for the need to redefine what it means to be successful in today's world.”
Poor Serotonin Levels - the Happiness Hormone
- Toxins also impair the production of serotonin which further disrupts your ANS and its ability to regulate many of your body’s organ’s and systems, including sleep.
- When you sleep your body does a lot of repair work, including removal of waste products and detoxification.
Weakened Immunity & Precursor Diabetes
- Poor sleep has been associated with weakened immunity and increased rates of illness and disease. Studies have also shown that short sleep duration is associated with a significant, three-fold increase in impaired fasting glucose, a type of prediabetes.
- Circadian rhythms are also negatively impacted when you don’t get adequate sleep. These rhythms control your body’s internal clock for when to sleep and when to wake, your body’s temperature, when to secrete hormones, and the stages of a woman’s menstrual cycle.
- Shift workers are most at risk for disrupted circadian rhythms. When your circadian rhythms are disrupted, the natural detoxification process of your body’s organ systems, which are active at certain times during the day, are impaired. This means your body’s natural ability to eliminate toxins becomes even more overburdened.
- Elderly patients are another large segment of the population affected by poor sleep quality. Aromatherapy inhalation in elderly patients with dementia has been shown to result in improvement for maintaining sleep and counteracting symptoms of sleep disturbance.
- Essential oils have also been researched and shown effective for treating intestinal dysbiosis and promoting a balanced and healthy gut microbiome. 95% of serotonin, which regulates your sleep-wake cycles, is produced in your gut.
Health Disturbances & Illness
- Disturbances and illness in all of the body’s organ systems can often be tied back to exposure to toxins. Toxins are pervasive, but not obvious, and can have long-term effects that are not observable in the short term.
- Toxins build up in the body. Over time they accumulate and cause dysfunction and the body can become polluted. Mitochondria, our energy source for life, are extremely sensitive to toxins. When your mitochondria get sick, you get sick.
Now you have some understanding why detoxification is one of the most-important keys to health and healing.
Essential oils can take the load off a burdened detoxification system. They can support your liver and kidney, your body’s organs and systems whose job is detoxification.
Right now, with all the craziness going on worldwide you may be experiencing periods of intense negative emotions, like fear, anger and depression. These feelings are natural to your mind and come up when you’re feeling personally threatened, or out of control.
These waves of emotional detox can leave you feeling drained and exhausted. The tendency can be to go into your head and start reactively thinking about how to resolve the ‘issues coming up’ which can lead to a cycle of more confusion and need to act and exert control.
Toxic emotions, like anger, fear and depression, can stem from negative beliefs and attitudinal patterns that need to be purged. Distracting yourself with addictive coping strategies and a fix-it mentality does not work long term.
The best response at these times is to take a time out to relax and allow any upset feelings, or confusion to settle. Clarity naturally arises when you just take a moment to sit quietly and relax in the moment. What actions you need to take, if any, will naturally arise.
When you are in an extended axis of change in your life you are being presented with a tremendous opportunity for resolution and completion of old karmic or inherited family patterns. These inherited ancestral patterns are often referred to as mind streams.
Great illumination can come to you during these intensified periods when detoxification of your emotional body can take place.
During these times you may experience sudden activity when unsettling and disruptive events beg for your attention, so that these inherited patterns can survive and continue into your future.
Essential oils can be especially helpful for detoxifying your emotional body and can help settle the mind until any sense of intense urgency to act passes. Inhaling the scent of certain oils can help to ground and stabilize the energies being detoxed from your emotional body.
Now is the perfect time for you to make a clean break of any addictive, or ancestral patterns once and for all.
When intense emotions are being purged there is great opportunity for you to seed a fresh new start and birth completely new patterns for yourself that you don't want to miss!
These are the best essential oils for emotional detox:
Rose (Rosa damascena)
The #1 oil in aromatherapy for emotional detox. Even a single drop of rose oil can have a transformative and lasting effect upon the human psyche. A 10% dilution Rose oil works just great!
Helichrysum (Helichrysum italiucum - Immortelle)
The #1 oil for treating hot, inflamed situations like anger and depression (which can be a type of anger turned inward). A 10% dilution works!
Citrus Aromas - All citrus aromas are helpful for promoting emotional detox and releasing mental tension. Each of these citrus oils promotes a playful attitude and supports childlike trust and innocence.
Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)
- Useful as a rejuvenating body and mind tonic
- Helps to ease tension and stress
Tangerine (Citrus reticulata)
- Promotes fresh and peaceful state of mind
- Psycho-emotionally freeing to the senses
- Potent antidote for an overly serious state of mind
- Cleansing properties support a healthy immune system
Red Mandarin (Citrus deliciosa)
- Acts to soothe and balance the heart energies
- Peaceful, loving and calming oil
- Gentle action, may be used with young children and during pregnancy
- Often used by midwives in the birthing room
- May help alleviate stomach upsets
- Useful as a soothing room spray
Inhale the scent of your oil. Use a dilution and anoint the area of your heart, or other area where you are carrying any noticeable tension. Also, an aromatic sea salt bath is one of the most helpful therapies for detoxifying the emotional body.
Emotional Detox Ritual
Use this ritual to breakthrough and resolve painful emotional issues. The essential oils help to detoxify your emotional body and free you from mind streams of mental and emotional patterns you may suffer from whether periodically, or on an ongoing basis.
When to perform your ritual
Anytime is a good time to do the Emotional Detox Ritual. However, performing the ritual at a full moon, and anytime during the two weeks following the full moon, can help you experience a more potent release and resolution of toxic emotions and inherited patterns. This is because the electro-magnetic energy of the waning moon that occurs immediately after the full moon will have the effect of draining your emotional body of any built up tension and blockage.
Sagittarius New Moon Solar Eclipse - December 14th, exact 8:17am PT at 23° 08.’
This is a VERY significant point as it is aligned with the Heart of the Milky Way Galaxy. This conjunction symbolizes the powerful new beginning and fresh start that is occurring for you, planet earth and its inhabitants. Tap into this current of energy and ride the wave of new birth being unleashed.
Why is this such a Potent Time of New Beginnings?
Just before a new moon is the most potent time for Emotional Detox because this is the period of time when your emotional body is at its deepest, darkest point in the moon’s cycle. Have you ever noticed how you feel just before a new moon? This is the time when negative emotions can surface most intensely. Your emotional body feels most exposed and vulnerable during this. This is when your emotional body can more easily be drained of toxic, negative emotions and emotional patterns.
Perform your ritual in the hour, or so, just before the moon reaches the New Moon Solar Eclipse phase.
The effect of your emotional detox brings a more open, trusting, loving and understanding heart. When your heart is freed of toxic emotions its easier for you to feel compassionate, patient and at peace in your daily life, no matter what events are occurring.
Emotional Detoxification is one of the of the simplest, easiest and effective ways to end negative emotional habits and inherited patterns.
What you will need:
A white candle
You are in a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Your body is in a comfortable, relaxed position, and your spine is fully supported.
Take as long for your ritual as feels right for you.
Breathe in the comforting scent of your essential oil. Inhale fully into your lower belly and exhale any tension. Allow yourself to relax completely as you breathe in the scent of your oil for several cycles of breathing.
When you feel deeply relaxed and centered within yourself you may begin your emotional detox ritual.
Emotional Detox Ritual
- Imagine your body is filled with a warm, vibrant light.
- Focus your attention at the bottom of your feet. Imagine the warmth of this vibrant light moving up through your body from the soles of your feet.
- As it moves upward the warm, vibrant light naturally drains you of any tension.
- Allow this warm, radiant light to circulate from the soles of your feet to the crown of your head and back down from the crown of your head through the soles of your feet.
- Your entire body begins to feel weightless and becomes completely transparent as you perform this ritual.
- All that remains is the original transparent vibrational blueprint of your etheric body that is whole and perfect.
- When you feel complete your entire body will feel weightless, light and free.
- Feel your radiant light body vibrant with life force energy. Every cell of your body vibrates and hums in harmony.
- Breathe in the purity of this resonate harmony that is your perfect original Divine Self incarnate in physical form.
- Conclude your Emotional Detox Ritual by giving thanks.